Journalism is “under siege”: From being the main gateway for delivering what happened over night, now the mass media must compete with the vast amount of user-generated content and new forms of online journalism. The side effects are already visible: citizens are overwhelmed with the vast amount of available information and sources, with the levels of trust diminishing as the contradiction among “alternative realities” offered by diverse sources increases. Phenomena like the increasing use of populism in public dialogue, fake news, information bubbles, intensified with the lack of provenance as news spread all over the social Web, pose significant obstacles to citizens accessing information, despite the abundance in accessing data.
Equipped with an extensive portfolio of expertise and state-of-art technologies, NSCR-D can provide innovative solutions to many of the aforementioned problems, helping journalists and the mass media industry to better address the needs of the society for information that stems from real facts and data that can be traced, verified and finally trusted.
The Hub’s expertise and technical innovation can be traced through the large number of related initiatives and publicly available services, such as the YDS platform, gov.insight, and tools produced in the context of the Open Journalism Google DNI project.
What is more, founding members of the Hub:
- strengthen news pluralism through NewSum (automatic news summarization from multiple sources);
- organise events and hackathons in Data Journalism;
- participate in and co-organizes events within the Athens Democracy Forum along with The New York Times and journalists from EU countries.
Relevant Market Sectors
- News Associations
- Government & Public Sector
- Media Management
Actions & Services
- News Summarisation
- Consulting on Policy Formulation
- Fact Checking
- Social Media monitoring
- ATC: Athens Technology Center (ATC) designs, provides and supports pioneer products and services to help organisations achieve optimal results from their software infrastructure. Its newsasset suite is a cross-media and multi channel publishing platform that helps editors and journalists achieve full automation of their workflow while publishing content anywhere with only one click.
- Linked Business: Linked Business, through its analytics platform, provides immediate, complete, transpareent and targeted insights on entrepreneurship and public procurement, supporting complex analytics and offering meaningful decision support.
- Athens-Macedonian News Agency: The Athens News Agency – Macedonian Press Agency (ANA-MPA) has a presence in the media sector that extends for more than a century. ANA-MPA produces, collects, edits and disseminates domestic and international news items and photographs, as well as radio and television material for distribution to media outlets in Greece, Cyprus, numerous third countries and the Greek diaspora.